Steps To Follow When Your Property Floods
What do you do when your basement or place of business floods? Not knowing where to start and what to do can be overwhelming. Here are three steps to follow which will guide you through the process.
3 Steps to Cleanup Flood Damage
- Remove Water
Before any repairs can be made, all of the water must be removed from the basement. We at SERVPRO of Foxborough are water remediation experts and we can help you through the entire process. From water removal to rebuild our vast team of certified technicians and licensed craftsmen will make it “Like it never even happened.” Flooded basement water removal may look something like the following:
- Hiring an electrician to evaluate the risk of electric shock.
- Getting the sump pump up-and-running to remove sitting water.
- Using a shop vacuum to suck-up the last inch or so of water.
- Lifting carpet and using large fans to dry-out moisture.
- Sanitizing with warm water and disinfectant to prevent mold growth.
2. Repair Damage
Once the area has been completely dried, repairs may be in order. Checking your home flood insurance coverage may be a good place to start. While salvaging some belongings may be an option, it is unwise to try to save anything which uses electricity or gas. If your gas furnace or electric outlets took on water in the flooding, replacement over repair is the safe route to go.
- Plan for Future Flood Prevention
Now that the basement is clean, dry, and repairs are complete its time to plan ahead for the future. There is nothing worse than putting time and money into basement flood restoration only to have it ruined all over again. Consider the following preventative measures:
- Install a back-up pump.
- Create outside drainage for storm runoff.
- Buy a generator for use during a power outage.
While following these three tips will help you after water damage strikes the reality is calling SERVPRO of Foxborough is the only step you need to take!