Don’t let the storms cause water and flood damage in your home
With storm season underway, there are unfortunate cases of flooding and power outages taking place all over. The humidity and flooded areas create a perfect combination and environment for mold to grow, giving you more than just flood damage to take care of. The sooner the water damage is cleaned up, the less likely there is a chance for mold to produce, leaving you with less to cleanup in the end.
Flood damage cleanup
1. Remove furniture and upholstery to clean or repair separately.
2. Start by using a wet/dry vacuum to get rid of as much water as possible so the water is not sitting.
3. Use fans to circulate air and speed up the drying process. A dehumidifier can also be used to remove the excess moisture in the air to prevent mold growth.
4. Once the water and moisture is cleared, start cleaning and treating the carpet and flooring throughout the flooded area. Steam clean any carpeted area to properly sanitize and check the padding under the carpet to ensure that it does not need replaced. Carpet padding usually needs replaced when a flood occurs.
5. Clean walls and baseboards with warm water and soap to remove any residue. Then apply bleach and water mixture to sanitize the surface.
Water damage produced from a flood can be dangerous and cause illness due to the bacteria sitting in the water. It’s important to act quickly when it comes to flood and water damage to prevent illness and worse damage to occur.
SERVPRO® of Franklin/Walpole understands the importance of keeping your home happy and healthy. If you have any questions or concerns regarding mold in your home call 508-697-5439 or visit www.SERVPROfranklinwalpole.com to schedule a free estimate today!