What To Do If Your House Floods in SERVPRO of Foxborough
Planning for a flood due to a storm is difficult, but you can take some small precautions to ensure your home is protected:
- Keep your rain gutters and downspouts clear of leaves and debris.
- Ensure downspouts direct water away from your basement or foundation.
- Be certain the ground slopes are away from your home.
- Watch for small leaks in your roof, windows, doors, and foundation and fix them promptly.
When the rain is extremely hard and lasts for a long time, this can cause water levels to rise, which will flood your home. Sandbagging and trenching can help in some cases, but if water finally does start getting into your home, further action steps are needed.
“What do I do if I get water in my basement?”
At the first sign, that water is entering your home, cut the power to all outlets. Don’t forget to Unplug all machines and equipment such as freezers, heaters, lamps, and power tools. Put washers, dryers, freezers, etc. up on blocks to keep them out of the rising water.
- If water has entered your home quickly contact your local utility company to cut the power to your home
- If you have an electric sump pump, it is important that it stays plugged in. Shut off the gas or have your gas company do it for you if you aren’t sure how to do it.
- A backup generator can be used to power additional pumps, water vacuums, and lights. Make sure that water has been cleaned up and isn’t destroying surrounding things.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Install fans to move air and dry your basement once the bulk of the water is gone.
- Contact a qualified flood restoration expert such as SERVPRO of Foxborough to determine what steps are necessary to repair your home from flood damage.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
SERVPRO of Foxborough is available 24/7 including holidays and weekends to assist you and help you with your damage. “Like it never even happened.”